DUITip the Scales in your Favor
KNOXVILLE DUI LAWYER
Kelly Tanner attacks every DUI case from a different perspective than most all other Knoxville DUI lawyers.
Having served as a police officer for many years prior to becoming an attorney, Kelly Tanner knows every facet of what police officers do and what they look for prior to, during and subsequent to arresting an individual for DUI. Tip the Scales in your favor and have him fighting for you.
- Kelly has actually taught the Field Sobriety Testing techniques to police officers, giving him a keen insight into a DUI client’s case.
- His analysis of a DUI case starts well before the client’s face to face encounter with a police officer, and doesn’t end until ALL the facts are known.
Police officers are human beings who make mistakes just like anyone else in society
Kelly Tanner easily finds all of the mistakes in the prosecution’s DUI case and uses them to the benefit of his DUI clients.
- Through the use of video evidence
- Witness interviews
- Personal inspection of the client’s vehicle
- Medical treatment reports
- Police equipment records
- Police training records
After all, the burden of proving an allegation of Driving Under the Influence rests entirely on the State of Tennessee and never on the accused. Take the most important step that you can to be sure you have done everything that you can to secure your defense if charged with DUI: put Kelly Tanner on your side and tip the scales in your favor.
Penalties for DUI
In Tennessee, an individual may face a charge of Driving Under the Influence if operating a motor vehicle or even if they are deemed to simply be in physical control of a vehicle. The latter is an often seen area that many accused do not understand, but simply being behind the wheel in a non-running vehicle can sometimes result in a DUI charge if the individual meets the additional statutory criteria of having a blood alcohol concentration of .08 or higher, or is under the influence of alcohol OR drugs, or both. Many times the drugs that may be present in an individual’s blood may actually be prescribed to them. The law does not make distinctions for illicit or prescribed drugs.
It is important to understand the penalties for a DUI conviction, as they are enhanced as an individual acquires multiple DUI charges over their driving history:
DUI 1st Offense
- Minimum fine of $350.00 up to $1,500.00.
- Minimum incarceration of 48 hours up to a maximum of 11 months and 29 days. The minimum incarceration time increases to 7 days if the accused returns a blood alcohol concentration of .20 or higher.
- Driver’s license will be revoked for a period of 1 year
DUI 2nd Offense
- Minimum fine of $600.00 up to $3,500.00.
- Minimum incarceration of 45 days up to a maximum of 11 months and 29 days.
- Driver’s license will be revoked for a period of 2 years, with the accused’s vehicle subject to seizure by law enforcement.
DUI 3rd Offense
- Minimum fine of $1,100.00 up to a $10,000.00.
- Minimum incarceration of 120 days up to a maximum of 11 months and 29 days.
- Driver’s license will be revoked for a period of 3 to 10 years, with the accused’s vehicle subject to seizure by law enforcement.
DUI 4th and Subsequent Offenses
- The DUI offense will be a Class E felony.
- Minimum fine of $3,000.00 up to a $15,000.00 maximum
- Minimum incarceration of 150 days up to a maximum of 6 years (the maximum incarceration period for a Class E felony conviction).
- Driver’s license will be revoked for a period of 5 years and the accused faces possible seizure of their vehicle by law enforcement.
The decision you make today, can affect your life for years into the future.
Many times, the cost of a DUI conviction can far outweigh the cost of hiring the best DUI lawyer you can find. Every lawyer has been taught the same facets of law and passed the same State of Tennessee bar exam, but very few can say they have actually taught the very tests that law enforcement uses to convict individuals suspected of a DUI offense. Don’t run the risk of gambling with your case; after all, it will potentially impact your life for years to come. Contact Kelly Tanner today and schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.
Ask any of his prior DUI clients and they will tell you that Kelly Tanner is an aggressive, knowledgeable DUI attorney who goes all out for his clients. For the best outcome to your DUI case, call for a free consultation and get started early, ensuring the best start to your defense. He handles DUI cases in Knox, Blount, Loudon, and surrounding counties.